- short-grain brown rice: follow package instructions for cooking
- virgin coconut oil, 1tbsp
- ginger (1.5in), grated
- garlic cloves (4), grated or finely chopped
- vegetable broth (5c)
- olive oil, to drizzle
- butternut squash (2lbs), purchase pre-cut to save time (if whole, roast for 45mins @ 400)
- sea Salt, cracked pepper, cumin (season to taste)
- tuscan kale(1.5c), torn into smaller pieces
- white miso paste (5tbsp)
- tahini (.25c)
- sesame oil (1tbsp)
- lemon juice (few squeeze’s)
- 2 scallions, white and pale-green parts only, thin slices
- black or white sesame seeds (2tbsp)
- peanuts (.25 c)
- hot chili oil (for serving; optional)
- start cooking brown rice since it’ll take ~45mins. in a bowl, drizzle olive oil over squash, season w/ salt, pepper, and cumin. set aside.
- in a medium size pot over medium heat, add coconut oil, then ginger and garlic. move it around with a wooden spoon so it doesn’t stick to the pot. 2 mins.
- add squash to pot moving around so it doesn’t stick, 2 mins. pour in vegetable broth and bring to a slight boil then lower to a simmer, 8 mins or until squash is cooked through. you should be able to easily pierce it with a fork.
- depending on your personal preference chunky vs smooth, you can leave the base as is OR run it through a blender or immersion wand. keep base in pot over lowest heat and add kale.
5. In one bowl, mix miso, tahini, and sesame oil together using .5c of hot water to smooth it all together. try to get this as smooth as possible. make sure base is not scorching hot (dip your finger into test) and slowly pour in the mixture into the base. If the tahini starts to separate, the base is too hot and you need to let it cool off a bit. season to taste w/ salt and pepper.
6. time to serve! Scoop brown rice into a bow, pour in soup, add toppings (optional) and enjoy!